Friday, April 26, 2019

Updated: ARE YOU LOOKING FOR HIM?

It is time for a word study from the King James Bible.

When Christ returns, will you be eagerly looking for him?

Hebrews 9:28 So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.

The Calvinist would tell us that this is not a conditional verse. God will force every elected believer to look for Christ at his return. Reformed Christians will be trundling along, living a generally self-satisfied life, and God will send an angel, jerk the believer' dead back, and whisper in their ear, "Look up and expect a big surprise you idiot." 

This is because Calvinists have a ho hum eschatology. Everything is up to God, and the believer does not have to participate in the final eschatological events. God just forces a happy ending on us all.

Not so. Hebrews 9:28 makes it very clear that you either be waiting eagerly for Christ, and (active verb) looking for him, or you miss the event. THE VERSE IS CONDITIONAL. Be looking for him, or be left behind.

The verb look in the Greek is "apekdechomai" 
apek- This is a preposition from which we get apex in English. The implication is Christ's return is from UP.
dechomai- to receive favourably, give ear to, embrace, make one's own, approve, not to reject
Thus, the implication is that of looking up eagerly toward the apex. This is not a junk word in the Greek. It is a very pointed kind of looking, and God means for you to be eagerly awaiting and looking for Christ in order to be one who is in on the evacuation of Bible believers out of this world. 

Here is another text in the exact same context:

Philippians 3:20 For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ:

2 Timothy 4:7 I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:
8 Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that
love his appearing.

The passive know nothing attitude of Calvinists toward the return of Christ is NOT what the Bible calls for. In fact, the inference of the verse is rather frightening. You could be left behind if you have a know nothing attitude toward the return of Christ. Not knowing or caring what you believe about the coming events of the End Times could send you to Hell.

God anticipates that you will be looking for Christ if you are truly born again. To the Calvinist devil's advocate who tries to defend the disinterested participant this verse should be a warning citation. Get you eyes on the sky with eagerness, or go to Hell.

When I was growing up in Africa, I attended a boarding school for missionaries' kids. My home was a 900 mile trip to the school and back to my home again on vacation. Every three months I rode the railway from the school to Lake Victoria, and I then went by lake steamer the full length of the lake to the port of Mwanza. As the steamer was nearing the port, I watched eagerly for my parents who would be standing on the dock, and I knew very well what I would see. My parents would be looking very eagerly for me to come close enough so that they could recognize me. My Mom would be weeping for joy, and my Dad would be trying not to. Both of us were eagerly looking for one another. 

When Jesus returns, will he see you spiritually and mentally with your eyes fixed on the heavens looking for him, or will he see a bored ecclesiastical dim bulb shuffling along showing no interest? 

You will get what you are looking for.


Here is a church singing about the return of Christ from the old Red Backed Hymnal: